Monday, December 28, 2015

The Mask

We couldn't decide what to name today's post.  "The Man Behind the Mask" or perhaps "The Adventures of the Man Behind the Mask."

Before I explain, let's acknowledge that once again God was looking out for us.  I think he said, "These people have enough on their plate so I'm going to keep them safe today."  Our 1:30 appointment in LaCrosse meant we had to travel the roads where meteorologists were telling us to stay home.  "I love driving in general and I really love the adventure of driving on slippery roads" said me NEVER! We had two close calls that I still cannot comprehend how we didn't wreck.  In one instance we were inches from t-boning a pickup truck which had slid in front of us. Yikes!

Back to the appointments...

At 1:30 we met with a nurse who taught us more about the chemotherapy pill treatment Temodar. It's interesting how my husband, who never took any medication, will soon be a walking medicine cabinet.  Along with his current steroids (and Pepcid to protect his stomach from the steroids), he will be taking the Temodar (chemo drug) along with an an antibiotic to prevent pneumonia and an anti nausea medication.

Deb from radiation met with us at 2:00.  She explained the procedure for the mask making that would happen today. It's pretty amazing how they take the piece of plastic mesh (Kevin is holding an example), soak it in warm water, and then stretch it over the patient's face to create a mask.  The gray plastic pieces snap to a table to hold Kevin in the exact position for radiation treatments.  While they had him in place they did a CT scan to help Dr. Driscoll create his radiation treatment plan.

The next appointment is scheduled for January 6. Kev is calling it a "test run." Radiation and chemo treatments will start the following day.  They were able to meet Kevin's request for a late appointment (5:00 pm) so we won't have to miss work. Treatments will be every weekday for a total of 30 days. By the way, Kevin has been assured more than once that he won't be radioactive when he leaves, thus he won't "glow in the dark" (much to Kevin's dismay).

Side effects will accumulate over time. He will begin to notice more of the side effects about half way through those treatments:  fatigue, skin irritation, redness, and hair loss on the treated area, nausea, headache, sensitivity to heat/cold. (Maybe you were supposed to read those really fast like they do on the commercials). Of course, everyone responds differently, and Kevin has been one tough cookie so far.

One last thought on masks. We all put on a mask at times to hide how we may truly be feeling. But God knows everything about us and is with us through every situation. Psalm 139: O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord.




2 comments:

  1. Kathy & Kevin - the team that helped Mom at Gundersen were great. They also met with Dad, Michelle and I to make sure we knew what was happening and what Mom's wishes for treatment were. We are keeping you in our prayers - Donnie & Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Kathy!! It helps us to help Kevin if we know what is happening. If he needs a ride anywhere please feel free to call. Mark or I would be honored to take him! Your both in our prayers... many times a day. God bless. Laurie Privet

    ReplyDelete