Tuesday, December 29, 2015

There's Still Time to Learn

Today felt different.  Kevin got a ride to work early this morning. Kailey was at work. I was home with my own To Do list of household chores. The heavy snow added a blanket of quiet which made for quality thinking time while shoveling.  On days like this I always do my own thing with the intention of wrapping things up when Kevin gets home.  I allowed myself to realize that at some point that daily deadline won't exist anymore.  But I couldn't let myself ponder there too long.

While working on the driveway, I remembered that I had not gotten my lesson yet on how to work the snow blower.  I had never had to know how to use it before.  Thankfully, there's still time to learn. I am realizing there are lots of little (and big) things I don't know how to do.

This weekend,  as Kevin and Keaton bought water softener salt, I realized I had no idea how often Kevin bought salt and filled the softener.  He just took care of it.  For my mini lesson, I carried in one bag of salt, cut it open, and dumped it in.  I'm confident I can handle that job as long as I buy the 40 lb bags of salt rather than the 50 lb which Kevin prefers.  Let it be known that Keaton did the real work by carrying in the other 4 bags and getting them into the softener.

I need a refresher course on checking the oil in the car and putting air in the tires too.  I've been shown before, but once again, Kevin always took care of it.  Thankfully, there's still time to learn. I've already decided I'm not going to be all Super Woman and learn to change the oil in the car.  That's just craziness.

I don't even know how to make popcorn in our Stir Crazy popcorn popper.  It's a job Kevin has always done and he's pretty darn good at it (except for the time he decided to experiment by adding cinnamon to the popcorn--which Kailey and I will never let him forget).  Thankfully, there's still time to learn.

For the past few years during our Black Friday shopping, I've bought a few bags of popcorn kernels which supplies us for the year.  On a whim on Christmas Eve, I threw those two bags of popcorn into a bag for Kevin and scribbled a quick note, "May we have many more nights of sharing popcorn together."  Who would have thought that was the gift that would have brought us both to tears that night.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Kathy....there are no words for this one.

    I've thought many times of these very things...although not the popcorn popper--that's something very special just for you and Kevin. Loving husbands (and even the not so loving one--heehee!) do so many important things that we don't even think about. Shaughn has even tried teaching me some of these things, but I tend to only half listen thinking he'll just do it next time anyway.

    We don't ever know what life holds for any of us....and that makes each day....each moment....absolutely precious, doesn't it?

    Thank you for reminding me of this. Thank you for reminding me that there is still time to learn.

    I love you, Friend.........angie

    P.S. I guess there were a few words. :)

    ReplyDelete