Wednesday, December 30, 2015

This is real

Today I was out running errands after dropping Kevin off at work.  When we are outside of the hospital, life seems to progress as normal.  I think that is one reason Kevin goes to work every day, so life can seem more normal.

I stopped at Shopko pharmacy to pick up Kevin's steroid prescription.  They had called yesterday to
say it was ready so I was surprised when the clerk couldn't find it on the shelf.  After checking around, the head pharmacist stepped in.  "This drug is a $7,000 drop so we wanted to make sure everything was accurate before we process the order."

What??  "I'm just picking up his steroid.  We had it filled here a few weeks ago."

They walk over with four different medications and a pile of papers.  "I'll process the Temodar (chemo drug) right away for you. He can ring up the others while I finish this up."

The hospital wasn't even sure Shopko would be allowed to distribute the chemo drug and was going to do some checking, so this totally caught me off guard. We thought we would be dealing with the chemo drug, antibiotics, and anti-nausea medication on January 6. I was just picking up a steroid.

Usually I tell them to skip the bag when I pick up a prescription.  Not today.  I needed the bag for all of this.

As I sat in the car, with the bag of drugs on the seat next to me, I realized... THIS IS REAL.


But I'm thankful.  WE have insurance.  WE are blessed. I don't really know what the pharmacist meant by a "$7,000 drop" but clearly this drug is expensive.  Thankfully, we have insurance.  How does anyone without insurance get this treatment?  I cannot begin to imagine the despair they must feel.

Psalm 55:22 Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fail.


1 comment:

  1. I, too, am thankful for your insurance and that you are casting your burdens unto the Lord. One of my prayers for you is that you are able to continue doing that as this is too much for you to bear alone...even with the support of dear family and friends. Prayer and loving thoughts continue daily......angie

    ReplyDelete