Monday, January 11, 2016

It's Okay to Ask

We've heard people say, "We don't want to ask. We feel like we are intruding." Perhaps you think, "They may not want to talk about it."

Kevin and I have discussed this very issue and we want you to know, it's okay to ask.

Keep in mind, if you ask a generic question, you are most likely going to get a generic answer.  Remember when you asked your kids, "How was school?" And they replied with, "Fine."  Hopefully you learned that if you really wanted information, you had to ask better questions.  If you ask Kevin how he's doing, Mr. Positive is most likely going to say, "Good," even if he's not.  If I'm asked, "How are you?" I'm most likely going to say, "I'm okay," or "Hangin' in there."

If there is something you are curious about, ask.  We don't consider it rude or intrusive.  If you ask a question we don't want to answer, we won't.

Now I realize that not everyone who may be on a similar journey feels the same way.  That's okay.  We may have a change of heart down the road.  If that's the case, we'll let you know.

Besides, you know me.  I like to talk.  It's how I process.  Fair warning:  I may just talk your ear off!

Now for the update:
I, yes me, put several pieces into the incredibly hard dog puzzle that has been on the table in the
radiation waiting area since we started last Wednesday. Oh, you weren't waiting for a puzzle update? Well, I skipped the hot chocolate tonight and had a package of saltines instead. What? You didn't need to know that either.

Radiation treatment #3 went off without a hitch so there isn't much to talk about.  Kevin isn't noticing any side effects yet.

We met with the radiation physician's assistant (Groshek) and the radiation doctor tonight.  Evidently they check in once a week to see how things are going.  Since Kevin's original radiation doctor, Dr. Driscoll, is ill and will be out for a month, Kevin was assigned Dr. Conway until Dr. Driscoll returns.  Both (Groshek and Conway) agreed that Kevin's surgical area has healed quite nicely.  They are pleased that Kevin is not experiencing any difficulties at this time from the radiation and chemo (and we're pretty thankful too). If Kevin does not experience any issues through this week, they would like to reduce his steroid medication starting next week.

They did remind us that side effects from these treatments are cumulative and that we should expect: scalp sensitivity and hair loss in the treatment area, tiredness, increased weakness, and thrush (experienced 40% of the time).

So...when's the next MRI so we can see what's happening with that tumor?  Dr. Conway says he will schedule an MRI four to six weeks after radiation treatments end. That should be mid to late March.

Tonight we decided to change things up with our prayer before meals.  We say the same prayer each night before we eat, but it has gotten so routine that we often forget whether we've prayed or not.  I asked if we could end our grace with something we are thankful for today.  I am thankful for the talented doctors who are caring for my husband.  Kevin's reply, in a choked up voice, was "Another day."  Amen.



One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike.  Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.  He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord.  He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.              Romans 14:5-8


6 comments:

  1. God bless you, and know that you are all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy-
    I have not had a chance to talk to you or see you since Kevin's illness. You have always been an inspiration to me...getting to know you at work I was always appreciative of your willingness to share your computer knowledge, the energy you attack every obstacle with and your genuine care for others. You didn't know me- but you took time to help and guide me. Your circumstances right now may at times seem insurmountable but know that you have the strength and love to guide you and Kevin. I have been keeping you in my prayers and thoughts. Take care friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, Thanks for the updates! BTW- I am thankful Kevin has you as a partner in life and through this journey! Amen! 😊 Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kathy....we, too, are thankful for another day--for Kevin, for you---for all of us. Thank you for letting us know what you are comfortable with, for letting us know what is okay for you. We want to be present in your lives, but that can be scary for us. Forgive us for that. Bless you for making this easier for us even when you are facing such difficult, sometimes impossible days. Sending love, hugs and prayers.........angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending hugs and healing energy and asking the angels to watch over you as you go through this journey. Thanks for keeping us not so near family up to date!
    Janet Weiner

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know Putz and mom would love to see you both if both of you are up to it. Thirsty Thursday is always open for you and I'm sure Kevin would love to see the new sled being built. A distraction I guess. Have Keaton message me if you decide to partake so I can be there. Best wishes and prayers coming your families way

    ReplyDelete