Monday, February 1, 2016

It's a Beautiful Day

Bright sunshine and warm temperatures...a beautiful day.  It seemed to mimic how things are going for us right now.

I cannot say it (and write it) enough, we are so lucky!  Kevin has completed 18 of 30 treatments (that's 3/5 of the way there for you math geeks who like to simplify) and he's still feeling quite well. So good that we've packed the last few days with fun.  Everything from Happy Hour at the Starlite on Thursday with my co-workers, an exciting basketball game Friday night, lunch with cousins on Saturday and partying at the Booster Club fundraiser on Saturday night.  Kevin didn't even have time for a nap on Saturday (but I snuck in 10 minutes).


We both agree that the highlight of our weekend was seeing Kevin's cousins from Iowa.  We are so happy they made the trip.  Our bellies just ached from laughter.  One of the cousins spoke to me about how nervous she was about seeing Kevin.  She didn't know what it would be like to talk to him, what she'd say. It can be uncomfortable to talk to "sick" people.  We hadn't seen her in many, many years. Would it be awkward to show up now that Kevin had cancer when we never saw each other when he was well?  Wow, it was like she was pulling out all of those thoughts from my head.  That's EXACTLY how I feel with others who are sick or have lost a loved one.  It's amazing how some people just move forward in these situations, when all I want to do is back away. We are so happy she was brave, followed her sister's lead, and made the trip.  If you have to back away, I get it. That would be me.

Lucky for us, Kevin doesn't look sick or feel sick.  Except for that lovely scar on his head, you wouldn't even know.  By the way, a friend of ours gave Kevin a great line. Customers will come up to Kevin at work, see his scar, and say, "What happened to you?!?"  Kevin replies, "A double sided axe."  Like I always say, you can't believe half of what comes out of Kevin's mouth. He'll try to pull one over on you.

A slight disappointment for me today at treatments.  One of those tough puzzles we had been working on for a while was near completion on Friday. When I came in today, someone must have finished it and it was gone already.  I never got to see the final puzzle.  And the current puzzle was being consumed by another visitor...chair pushed up tight, both elbows on the table, leaned way over. No room for another to squeeze in a piece or two.  I consoled myself with a package of saltines and a cup of hot chocolate. Clearly, you can tell I have it pretty rough.

We were excited to see that Alicia was back on Kevin's radiation rotation.  She had been in another room last week.  We were thinking she had asked to be transferred after Kevin tried to see if she was single and possibly interested in dating our son.  He wanted to know "if she was looking for a nice father-in-law." Luckily she just laughed and told her co-worker, "He's trying to set me up."  These great people just brighten our day.

Today was our weekly checkup with Dr. Conway, the radiation doctor.  Every time Kevin meets with a doctor, they ask, "How are you doing?" Kevin responds, "Good. It feels like I'm getting better every day."  Usually, I can't help but roll my eyes.  Seriously? Have you forgotten that you are tired and weak and and and??? Today was another story. When Kevin responded, "It feels like I'm getting better every day," I believed him.  He feels like his left arm is getting stronger.  Tonight he didn't struggle nearly as much with the oil plug when changing the oil on the car as he did a month ago on Kailey's car. I think his hand is reacting better too.  He doesn't seem to "hang on" to things as much after he thinks he put them down.

Based on Kevin's positive self-report, Dr. Conway agreed to reduce the steroid dosage yet again (1 mg in the morning and another in the afternoon).  This was done with the caveat that Kevin should go back to his current dosage if he feels any numbness or weakness on his left side, headaches, nausea, or increased lethargy.

Kevin really needs some lessons on these selfies.  Anyone want to volunteer?  I suggested he smile and this is what we get.  It reminds me of that Big Bang Theory episode where they ask Sheldon to smile (see below). Kev says he can't smile and operate the camera at the same time. I guess he'll just need to keep practicing.


We continue to appreciate your thoughts, well-wishes, cards, and prayers.  Most of all, we continue to thank God for each day.


Enter his gates with thanksgiving 
and his courts with praise;

give thanks to him and praise his name.
Psalm 100:4




1 comment:

  1. All such wonderful news!!! So happy to hear, a good week is a blessing no matter who you are :)

    ReplyDelete